Well this post is going to be mostly pictures because I didn’t realize how many I had! Here in Monterey is one of the best aquariums in the US (probably in the world). It is HUGE and is located right on the bay, so the water in all the tanks is actually bay water. The bay water is pumped in and filtered during the day (so visitors can see all the animals) and then unfiltered after closing so the animals get to bask in real unadulterated ocean water all night. Pretty awesome.
The libraries and the aquarium in Monterey have a program called “Shelf to Shore” where the aquarium offers free admission to low income families who hold library cards. The idea is that if you show kids all these really cool marine creatures, they will be more eco-conscious and bigger defenders of natural life. I couldn’t agree more! Vince LOVES the penguins, whales, seahorses, seals, sea otters, and more that he learns about at the aquarium.
![]()
One of the best parts about the aquarium is all the fun things for kids to do. There are two different “kid zones” – one is the “flippers and flukes” section where kids get to learn about all the mammals that live in the ocean – because, after all, humans are mammals, too! The other section is the “splash zone” with all these cool water exhibits and dress up and Nemo exhibits for the kids to see. Well, the exhibits don’t say “Nemo” but they have all the fish from the movie, so Vince points out Nemo and Dory every time he sees the tank. There is even a baby section that is gated with baby’s own splashing pool and a water bed! Joseline was freaked out the first time we put her on the water bed, but now she loves it, and loves slapping it and feeling the waves!
The other really cool exhibit that Vince LOVES is the “Outer Bay” – it’s almost a completely contained eco-system with sharks, sting rays, tuna, mackerel, and other fish. Vince loves seeing the sharks in the Outer Bay. And don’t you love the he wears his shark t-shirt to the aquarium? I think he’s worn that shark shirt most of the times we’ve been.
![]()
I love the mission of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I love getting free passes each month and being able to take Vince to see all the marine life. It feels good to educate him about thing. I love him to see things hands on (you can touch hermit crabs, star fish, sea cucumbers, sea kelp, and more!). It really is a great place. I’ve been really grateful for that blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!