Monday, April 19

Preschool Week 1 - SPORTS

In honor of Spring baseball starting, and the fact that the entire household seems to go outside in the now warm evenings to play catch, I decided that this week should be sports week.

sports-balls

Today – we will go to the library and check out books about sports. These books will be our main source of reading material this week, and it will be my goal to read to Vincente each day. He loves to be read to, and I should really do better about that. Eventually I want to start reading chapter books (the classics – Alice in Wonderland, etc) to him and Joseline, even if they don’t quite understand it yet.

Tuesday – plays sports outside. Hopefully we’ll be able to organize a little soccer game or some kickball or something relatively easy for a little guy like Vince. Luckily his little cousin, Samuel, is here (Sam is about 6 mos older than Vince). Sam also loves to play outside, and his mom is here, so maybe we’ll have some willing opponents ;)

Wednesday - “academics” This day, I’ll print off some “color by number” sheets, counting sheets, etc, and we’ll practice the “sit still at the table and follow directions” activity. Ha ha. We’ll see how that goes! I will not give up! We’ll also gather up balls and count them, and maybe start experiencing “number conservation” (there are the same number of basketballs as there are baseballs, even though baseballs are smaller). We’ll also practice our letters – probably the letter B, since most sports involve a ball.

Thursday – attend a sporting event. This will most likely mean a baseball game. Possibly a soccer game. And we may switch this around to another day, because it mostly depends on when Vince’s uncles have games. (but I’m pretty much sure there is a game every night this week, so we shouldn’t have a problem).

Friday – COOKING DAY! We’ll make home made cracker jacks, and maybe have hot dogs for lunch. And learn the song “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” and maybe some other sports-themed songs.

What are you doing this week with your preschooler? How are you helping your preschooler learn and grow at home? What ideas do you have for a theme for another week?

2 comments:

  1. Becca, you are so cute. I love your ideas, thanks for sharing. I look forward to your posts here and in your other blogs too. How old is Vincent? I just started Lyena on a reading program. I did it with Spencer but it is so very different going through it with her versus him. Since I home school, that's what we're focusing on for her right now. I love the idea of themes, but haven't been able to keep up with that. Check out childcareland.com for lots of free preschool printables. There are more sites, but this one I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the website! Vincente just turned 3. My mom gave us some CDs and books called "Sing, Read, and Write" and we have been doing those a little. I was going to work on reading with him a little more, but he's way too active right now, and with all of our transitioning this year I figured it won't hurt him if I don't get intense about "school" stuff until we settle down this fall. In the meantime, I'm trying to be as organized and "intense" as possible - and I'm working harder at educating every moment of the day. It's hard - he's my first kid, so I'm not used to explaining everything to someone. 8-o Good luck with reading! I can't wait to get in deep with Vince! He loves books, and loves being read to. Let me know what works well for you so I can try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!