I posted today over in my scripture blog about refinement. Russ and I read an article last summer in the Ensign called "Our Refined Heavenly Home". It was a great article, and at the time reminded me of a lot of things. Then it was of course put in the recycle bin, and the article was forgotten. But not entirely.
Today, or maybe this was last night, as I was studying the words of the Prophet and other Church leaders, I was reminded of a few Ensign articles I had read that had a profound influence on me. This one about refinement was one. This article about a great mother was another that had a deep impact on me.
So I printed both articles to a PDF on my desktop so I can read them regularly. It’s not often that I feel so deeply affected by an Ensign article or a talk. Sure, many talks and articles have stirred my soul and increased my testimony, but occasionally there is a talk or article that feels like the author was sitting down with you in private conversation, answering your very concerns and questions – giving voice to the sincere desires of your heart.
Well, there is a lot in both articles – too much for one imperfect person like me to become in less than a lifetime, but I want to work on the things in each article.
This week I am going to work on being more refined in my speech. I want to speak with “purity of thought and sincerity of expression.”
I don’t want to be only refined in my choice of words and in my language, but also in what I talk about.
“Refinement in speech is reflected not only in our choice of words but also in the things we talk about. There are those who always speak of themselves; they are either insecure or proud. There are those who always speak of others; they are usually boring. There are those who speak of stirring ideas, compelling books, and inspiring doctrine; these are the few who make their mark in this world.”
So there it is. My goal for the week. My soul’s sincere desire. I have faith that as I come to Him in sincere prayer, Heavenly Father will bless me with the ability to become more than I am.
How do you want to be more than you are? Are there any General Conference talks or Ensign articles that seemed like the speaker/author had sat down in private conversation with you?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!