Thursday, July 28

Liberty Legacy

When we were kids, we came up to Utah all the time (for those of you who don’t know how long it takes to drive from Little Rock, AR to Salt Lake City, UT – it takes about 24 hours. Our family made that trek about once a year from about the time I was 8 or 9).

On one such trip, I have the distinct memory of playing in a these little concrete rivers.

I remember having a blast, and I remember it being a Liberty Park, so when Russ and I had some spare time and were in Salt Lake City, we took the kids over to Liberty Park. 2011-06-25 11.13.25 I couldn’t remember where in the park the rivers were, so we just walked around and eventually found a playground with a water play area. It was newer, and not rivers, but the kids had fun, got wet, and wore themselves out.

DSCN5262

A few months later, I was talking to my friend Michelle about going to Liberty Park and she mentioned going to the little rivers. I was so excited! So we packed a lunch and headed to Liberty Park with Michelle and Ethan. It was so nostalgic for me. DSCN5256Lots of memories came rushing back. We were a lot older when we played there, but Vince had a blast (Joseline mostly just sat on the edge of the water and played with the little red boat).

DSCN5281Even Doc had a good time – we tied him to a tree just out of reach of people, but everyone wanted to come say hi. Good thing he is such a sociable dog! He loved the attention, but I know what he really wanted was to go splash around in that water. What dog (or kid) wouldn’t?

 

 

I promise Ethan had a good time, too. He just saw me taking pictures and decided that he would rather stare me down than play while I was trying to take his picture. Punk.

DSCN5282By the way, in order to get to the “Seven Canyons” (apparently the water feature is supposed to be some kind of replica of the Jordan River and its tributaries) you park on the southwest side of the park, just south of the swimming pool. Then follow the sidewalks west (on the North side of the Aviary). Fullscreen capture 1132012 102612 PM.bmpWalk northeast past the green houses, then follow the sidewalk north and you’ll see the water fountains on the east side of the sidewalk.

In this screen shot of a google map of the area you can see the swimming pool and the parking lot. The “rivers” are just south of where the “A” marker is.

Who wants to go next summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!