Still no word on the house, but that doesn’t deter us from talking about it, praying about it,
(seriously – don’t laugh, we actually fasted about this house this month. It feels that important and right to us. When I was thinking about what I should fast about, the first thought that came to me was “The house.” So yeah. Don’t laugh)
and from looking up the ward boundaries.
Needless to say we were pretty stoked when we found the house was in the ward boundaries of this ward. Yes. You read that correctly - a Portuguese speaking ward. The meeting house is a few miles away, instead of a few blocks away, but we feel really good about this ward.
Hopefully if I listen to the Book of Mormon in Portuguese enough,
I’ll even understand what they’re saying!
In any case, it will be great for our kids (can you say lots of Brazillian friends?!), and I will learn a third language. I’m well on my way to becoming a polyglot linguist like my husband. Now I just need to teach him calculus (maybe we should start with algebra...).
Portuguese is much more useful than German, anyway. Portuguese = Spanish (not really, but our kids will have a MUCH bigger advantage in learning Spanish that your average American). German = English with a funny accent. Ha ha, not really, but Portuguese is a lot closer to Spanish than German is, and it’s either Spanish or Chinese, as far as usefulness goes
(Did I tell you Russ mentioned doing Border Patrol the other day... but then we talked about it and I reminded him how much he likes people from other countries and that his heart would probably break every time he sent an illegal immigrant back to Mexico. I think hunting down terrorists is probably a much better use of his time – and he won’t feel bad sending them anywhere).
So yeah, in anticipation of attending a Portuguese speaking ward in Utah (and potentially having a calling where I will need to speak Portuguese.... I was thinking about it, and the only callings I can avoid speaking much Portuguese would be ward organist or primary pianist... so yeah, don’t so much want to do that for my entire life), I am starting up my Portuguese studies again. I downloaded the Book of Mormon in Portuguese – as well as April 2010 General Conference (I’ve almost listened to it twice through in English, so hopefully I’ll be so familiar with it that I’ll be able to understand it, mostly...). And I’m going to dive back into my Portuguese textbooks that I got from the BYU Bookstore back in March.
By golly, I’m going to speak Portuguese
if it’s the last thing I do!
It would sure be easier with Russ around, though... :( No one to talk to around here... except my kids, and Vince doesn’t like Portuguese, and Joss doesn’t really speak yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!