Thursday, September 16

A Monkey, A Butterfly, and A Princess

For some reason, wearing an apron with monkeys on it makes you a monkey.

DSCN3526

When my mom left for California for a sibling family reunion with her brothers and sisters, I headed to Joann’s with twin 4-year-olds, a 3-year-old, and an 18-month-old in tow. The preschoolers picked out fabric for the aprons, I picked out the coordinating fabric for the edging, and off we went home for lunch.

DSCN3527

A few days later, the kids had a movie marathon while I spent close to 5 hours sewing 3 aprons. I was kind of making them up as I went along, which was why it took so long.

I did Vince’s first, since it was kind of simple.  boyapron

Then I tackled the girl’s aprons. KayLynn chose princess fabric. And wearing princess fabric makes her a princess. So says Vincente. The second apron went faster than the first, since I kind of already knew how to do it.girlapron

I absolutely adore the way the butterfly apron turned out (which is only pictured in the group shot at the top). The colors are gorgeous together – the yellow just so happy!

I wanted to add pockets (and may still add a pocket/s to Vincente’s, and maybe to Joseline’s when I make hers). I like the strap across the middle on the girls’.

The next day (because we spent all the time making aprons!) we made sugar cookies. I’m not a big fan of sugar cookies, but they are the best for little kids to make because they can do the cookie cutters – more fun for them. And then if you frost them, even better! Which we didn’t, because I already had a big enough mess to clean up from the cookies along with everything else going on in my life.

Mostly I’m proud of myself that I made aprons while watching 4 under 5 (granted the TV did most of the watching...).

Why did I subject myself to such stress and torture? Well, the stress was negligible, considering all the stress I was already under – and if I hadn’t made the aprons, I would have been sitting around on my duff all day doing absolutely nothing and feeling worthless at the end of the day. That kind of behavior can wear on a person.

When I get back to UT, a friend and I will make these aprons, and I’ll be sure to take pictures and post a pattern/tutorial for all you folks out there who want to be crafty and make aprons, too!

1 comment:

Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!