Being a mother is all it’s cracked up to be. And more. I love it. And my attitude about motherhood is improving every minute. It’s a lot like marriage. When you are young (and not married) you have this sort of “fairy tale” impression of marriage. You’ll find the love of your life, making covenants in the temple, and the rest of your life will be utter bliss.
And then you get married and realize that marriage is a whole lot of work, patience, love, and getting to know each other. Especially getting to know yourself.
Sometimes the same thing happens with motherhood.
As a young girl, you look at the moms of small kids and think how awesome it must be to have those precious children and raise them all your own and do their hair and dress them up and take them to ball games and out for ice cream.
And then you have kids. And you realize that motherhood is a whole lot of work, patience, love, and getting to know each other. Especially getting to know yourself.
For a little while you may say to yourself “What on earth was I thinking?” among other things that you may or may not admit to yourself. Like “I wish I could just give them back!” or “I’m never having another kid.” or “I wish I could just start over.”
But none of that is constructive, and you did at one time want to be a mother, which I don’t think was just naïveté. I think the Spirit does a really good job of planting the seed of motherhood in every young girl. We want to be mothers. We crave motherhood, even if we don’t know exactly what it is like. But that is what this mortal experience is all about – experiencing new things and doing things that we have never done before.
So instead of thinking all those crazy thoughts that we deny ever even having, we should be praying for the Lord to give us strength to do things that we don’t think are possible – like keeping our cool when our kids pee on the carpet, draw on the walls, and throw their spaghetti (sauce and all) on our brand new shirt and favorite pants.
It helps to remind ourselves that they are just little people, too, who are here in this mortal life for the same reasons we are – to experience new things and do things that they have never done before. And it’s our job to help them in that journey, because even though our journey isn’t done yet, we have experienced more of it than they have, and we are (hopefully) able to guide them through it all and help them make sense of the whole thing.
I have been reading a lot about motherhood lately (it is, after all, my full time job, and I want to be the best employee I can be).
I wrote my thoughts about the things I read over on my scripture study blog. At the bottom of the post I listed the articles I’ve been reading. I highly recommend the one about Quality and Quantity Time by Beppie Harrison.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a mother, and I am glad that I had such a strong desire to be a mother when I was young and I’m even more grateful that I am learning to love being a mother. It is a lot more work than I ever thought it would be (it’s emotional, physical, spiritual, and temporal work) …
… but it is the best work I have ever done.
:-) The part about kid's peeing on the carpet made me laugh sooo hard I had to read it twice! Reading your musings about being a mom makes me look forward to being a mother. (Even though there is this rouse I uphold with my friends that I'm NEVER going to be a mom, but they keep telling me I should be because I'm apparently a really naturally nurturing person.) I always knew you'd make a great mom and I'm glad you're enjoying motherhood.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard. I have been thinking about this too lately. I think myself, along with other moms, get frustrated and mad because we don't have enough time to do the things we personally want to do. Well, being a mom sometimes, or mostly all the time, means giving up what you want for the things your sweet babies need - which is you. Of course we each need time for ourselves, but for me at least, I find that if I make mothering less stressful (less trying to get my kids to always be clean, quiet, doing what I want them to do at the pace I want them to do it) it becomes a special time for me, and I dont begrudge it. I love it and crave it. I need that time to watch them play and learn and discover and interact, and I need that time to hold and kiss them and read them books. And i don't need so much that time to go somewhere without my kids and get a babysitter. (I'm also a little extreme on mothering sometimes I think, so I wont be offended if anyone disagrees :)
ReplyDelete