“Pois, é teu Pai e muito te-ama”
This is a line from the Portuguese translation of the song, “My Heavenly Father Loves Me” from the LDS Children’s Songbook,
(in English)
(em Português)
I have always loved this song – in English, of course – and it was one of the first songs from the Children’s Songbook that I learned to play. When we made the decision to raise our children bilingual, we realized that we were going to need the resources to teach them the gospel both in English and in Portuguese. So we bought scriptures (including the Book of Mormon stories, and recently the Old Testament stories), manuals, and the Children’s Songbook (and CDs!) in Portuguese. We read the scriptures as a family in Portuguese, and we have family home evening, and family prayer, and sing songs as a family all in Portuguese.
I absolutely love the Children’s Songs. I was raised to have a deep love for music, and for the gospel, and the music in the Children’s Songbook are just ingrained in me! They come to mind all the time when I am studying the principles of the gospel. They are a perfect simple introduction to the gospel, and the music is so sweet and beautiful, I just feel warm all over when I play and sing these songs.
When music is translated into another language, the basic underlying meaning of the music is preserved (as much as possible), but the words and expressions can be vastly different.
For example, this words of this song (My Heavenly Father Loves Me) read:
Pray, He is there, Speak, He is listening,
You are His child, His love now surrounds you.
He hears your prayers, He loves the children.
Of such is the kingdom, the kingdom of Heaven.
Whereas the Portuguese translation reads:
Sim, perto está. Sim, Ele te ovre.
(Yes, He is near. Yes, He is listening to you).
Pois, é teu Pai e muito te-ama
(For he is your Father and he loves you very much.)
Com terno amor, ama as crianças,
(With tender love, He loves the children)
Pois delas é o reino, o reino do céu.
(For such is the kingdom, the kingdom of Heaven)
I think the Portuguese expression is much more beautiful than the English translation that I just wrote there, but I just love that the words in the Portuguese translation say “He loves you very much.” The words “His love now surrounds you” are very poetic and beautiful – but I am a fan of simple and direct. You can’t get more simple than “He loves you very much.” This is the testimony that I have – that Heavenly Father loves me very much and it is the testimony I want to share with everyone, especially my own children: é muito te-ama.
Please let that piece of truth touch your heart. Because it is true:
é muito te-ama.
(if you’re wondering – I use Windows Live Writer to write my blog,
and downloaded this MP3 Player Plugin for Writer to embed the mp3’s in this post)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for blog-stalking our family! We love to hear from you!