My mom had a sign on her mirror for a long time that said this: Stress is when your gut screams ‘No!’ but your mouth says ‘Of course, I’d be glad to.’
I feel like this is saying “We create our own stress by not being okay with our limits.” Sure, we can push and test our limits sometimes – and our limits should certainly always be expanding - but if we’re not ready to expand our limits (and we need to be ready) we should just do what we can do, and don’t do what we can’t do.
For example, we can’t redeem ourselves, but we can do a lot of righteous things, and we can believe in Christ and let Him redeem us. We do what we can do, and Christ does what we can’t do.
I know this is doctrine, because it says so in 2 Nephi:
“...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.”
This week has been really long for me. Most of you probably know that. If you don’t, read my previous post. Then you’ll know part of what I mean.
On top of that, for some reason beyond my understanding, I agreed to watch my twin nieces the same week I was bringing home two 8 week old puppies. Of course, I wasn’t anticipating my brother to pass away the day after I brought the puppies home. And I wasn’t expecting to switch my flight and get on an airplane in all of 24 hours. And I certainly wasn’t expecting to be as depressed as I have been.
Even though when I found out I would be alone watching the twins, my two kids, and the new puppies, and my gut screamed “No!” a little bit, I thought that was just my own selfishness, and that I should just work through that and do it anyway – after all, my help was needed, and I was willing to give (although I have recently learned that willing ≠ able). So I gave. But I really didn’t have anything to give.
So this week has been long. I have been stressed. And it’s not over yet. I can’t see the blue skies yet, even though I know they are there.
And next time my gut screams “No!” I’m going to take its advice.
PS – things are actually going pretty well with the puppies.
And the kids, for that matter.
I can’t wait to have our fenced backyard, though :-6
That's just what you have to remember sometimes... even though you can't SEE the blue skies, they are out there and they are headed your way. (Our week hasn't been exactly like yours but we are definitely waiting for those blue skies... Here's to hoping in a sunnier September :)
ReplyDeleteDitto to sunnier September!!
ReplyDelete